Olympic medalists Horton, Sacramone promote 2015 P&G Gymnastics Championships
INDIANAPOLIS, April 17, 2015 – 2008 Olympic silver medalists Jonathan Horton of Houston/Team Hilton HHonors (Cypress Gymnastics) and Alicia Sacramone Quinn of Ft. Lauderdale visited gym clubs and media outlets to promote the 2015 P&G Gymnastics Championships, scheduled for Aug. 13-16 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, site of the 2005 championships.
While in Indianapolis, Sacramone visited four local gymnastics clubs – Jaycie Phelps Athletic Center, Gymnastics Unlimited, The Gymnastics Company and Sharp’s Gymnastics Academy – and Horton spoke with young male gymnasts at DeVeau’s Gymnastics. Both Sacramone and Horton spoke with young gymnasts who attended a performance clinic at St. Vincent Sports Performance at Clay Terrace in Carmel, Ind.
Multi-session and all-session ticket packages are currently available for the P&G Championships: women’s gymnastics day 1 includes both the junior and senior session on Aug. 13, $75-$125 per seat; men’s gymnastics package that includes every men’s junior and senior session, Aug. 14 and 16, $75-$125; women’s gymnastics final day includes both the junior and senior sessions on Aug. 15, $90-$140; senior men’s and women’s gymnastics final day sessions, Aug. 15-16, $85-$135; and all-session ticket package includes every competitive session, with prices running from $150-$495, and a limited number of Platinum VIP all-session tickets, located in the first five rows, are still available and include an autographed poster and a meet-and-greet with an Olympian.
Tickets may be purchased at Ticketmaster through www.ticketmaster.com,Ticketmaster charge by phone 1-800-745-3000 or at participating Walmart locations in Central Indiana and Bankers Life Fieldhouse Box Office. Tickets are also available at a discounted price through participating local gymnastics clubs. Prices vary depending on seat location, and listed ticket prices do not include applicable fees.
The competition schedule, which is subject to change, is outlined below:
- Thursday, Aug. 13 – women’s gymnastics, juniors at 1 p.m., and seniors at 7:30 p.m.;
- Friday, Aug. 14 – men’s gymnastics, juniors at 1 p.m., and seniors at 7 p.m.;
- Saturday, Aug. 15 – women’s gymnastics, juniors at 1 p.m., and seniors at 7:30 p.m.;
- Sunday, Aug. 16 – men’s gymnastics, seniors at 1:30 p.m., and juniors at 7:30 p.m.
The P&G Gymnastics Championships, previously known as the Visa Championships, determine the U.S. champions and the U.S. national team for the junior and senior elite levels. The field will be determined closer to the competition. The nationals also traditionally serve as part of the selection process for the U.S. Team for the World Championships. This is the fourth time the prestigious event has been held in Indianapolis (1986, 1998, 2005, 2015).
Simone Biles of Spring, Texas/World Champions Centre, and Mikulak both won their second consecutive women’s and men’s U.S. all-around titles, respectively, at the 2014 P&G Championships. The roster of former U.S. all-around champions is a veritable who’s who of gymnastics, including: women – Nastia Liukin, Shawn Johnson, Carly Patterson, Courtney Kupets, Shannon Miller, Dominique Dawes, Kim Zmeskal and Mary Lou Retton; and men – Paul Hamm, Blaine Wilson, John Roethlisberger, Mitch Gaylord, Peter Vidmar and Bart Conner. The U.S. Gymnastics Championships traces its history back to 1897 for the men and 1931 for the women.
The annual USA Gymnastics National Congress and Trade Show is a three-day event open to the entire gymnastics community. Held in conjunction with the P&G Championships, National Congress provides a unique opportunity for presentations, demonstrations and educational seminars on a variety of topics and a large exhibitor’s hall with additional business opportunities. The 2015 edition will be staged at the Indiana Convention Center.
The Indiana Sports Corp, Pacers Sports & Entertainment, the City of Indianapolis and the State of Indiana are the event’s local organizers. St. Vincent Sports Performance is the official medical and performance nutrition provider of USA Gymnastics and the 2015 P&G Gymnastics Championships. Indianapolis has served as the headquarters for USA Gymnastics since 1983.
- Indiana Sports Corp. Indiana Sports Corp’s mission is to create positive impact by hosting world-class sporting events that enhance vibrancy in the community, build civic pride, drive economic impact and media exposure, and encourage opportunities for youth. A not-for-profit organization, Indiana Sports Corp was founded in 1979 as the nation’s first sports commission. Our recent and upcoming schedule of events includes NCAA Men’s and Women’s Final Fours, Super Bowl XLVI in 2012, Big Ten Football Championship Games through 2021, Big Ten Basketball Tournaments, 2015 P&G Gymnastics Championships, 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Diving, and much more. For more information, visit www.IndianaSportsCorp.org.